Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Friday, October 30, 2015

Random Friday: We must obey!!!

Welcome to another random Friday. This week you may have seen a video that has been making the rounds on the web of an officer slam a young female student out of her seat. Like most big stories that seem to surface comes the comments from the public. You know these people, they are the ones that have no experience on the matter at hand, but give an opinion as if they are experts. In the recent video once again people are screaming "Fuck the police" and are up in arms about how cops abuse their powers. I am going to get real here, it's not the cops that are the problem. The problem is society and fear.

You see when I was young if I was bad my mother would use the classic line "I'm telling your father".  I don't know why that line worked, but most of the time if I was being bad that was all I needed to hear. My father not once ever laid a hand on me or one of my siblings but we had it in the back of our mind that he might. My grandfather would take his belt off and snap it to scare me if I was with him, and it worked. I feared that if I didn't shape up that I may get hit, and I know most of my friends had the same fear I had. As the years went and I got older I started to notice a change in the way people are disciplined. What was once a normal way of discipline started to be looked at as a way of child abuse. Someone decided that your way of discipline was wrong, and they had a better way. Children started to be told that if your parent hits you, you need to report it.
Now before I go any further let me just say I don't condone beating the shit out of your kid, but I don't see anything wrong with a little smack on the ass. A child needs to know that there is repercussions to their actions.
As these kids got older they realized that they didn't have to listen to their parents and then it trickled into their schooling. Why listen to the teacher when you can just make some shit up and get them fired. Soon it goes into their jobs and they are the assholes that show up late and have no care in the world if the job gets done the right way. Would you really expect these type of people to listen to an authority figure such as a cop when they have not had to listen to anyone with authority in their life? The sad fact of the matter is society has created this problem. It's not a black thing or a white thing its a change in the whole society. You want to know who the real people are to blame? It's the people who are in their 30's and 40's.  It's my generation that thought it would be a good idea an take that grit America was built on and turn it into a bunch of cry baby, entitled assholes. We have created a new generation of people that have been told if you don't like something just point the finger at the other person and take no responsibility.
I understand like in any job there is going to be those few people that don't do the job right and abuse their power, but you can't hold the other 98 percent responsible. If you treat a cop with respect and listen to him or her there is a great chance you will walk away with no problems. If you don't listen and talk back and make threats towards them, then there is a good chance you are going to have some problems.  In that recent video they show the cop toss the girl, but you don't see the girl disobey the teacher, the principal and then the officer. Now a cop has lost his job, and a girl will probably end up making money off of her disobedience for authority. Doesn't seem fair to me.

2 comments:

  1. You and Dan would be best friends..I feel like he says this same exact thing to me every day. You two need to meet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great, which is why we need to do a meet up

      Delete