Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Versatile Blogger Survey

I know I have done something similar to this survey in the past, but it has been a while and these are different questions. Gretchen  posted this on her blog and I thought it was a good way for people to get to know her better, so I decided to use it. Sorry this is no pictures, I did this at work since I have no free time at home with packing and moving things still


What is something people might be surprised to learn about you?

Besides running up until a few years ago I played roller hockey. A group of my friends put a team together about 18 years ago and got into a league. Our team name was “BEER”, how original I know. We had another group of friends in the same league and it seemed like we always ended up playing them for the championship. After 2 season we decided to take our four best players and combine with their four best players and the “Wolverines” were formed. In 35 seasons (there is more than one season a year) we won the championship 30 times. We added players from time to time but the core group of guys were on the team almost every season. We have played at different locations and have the championship at every place we played. Some of the players have even taken the team to Disney to compete in the National tournament where we finished second overall. Unfortunately I was unable to make the trip because I was out of town running a race that same weekend.


Have you ever met anyone famous?

Hmmm does it count if I met Christina Aguilera before she was famous? My sister used to dance and was doing the half time show at Three Rivers Stadium and I tagged along, not because I like her or was there for support. I was there strictly to check out the other dancers and to watch the football game from field level. Christina was singing the national anthem and was friends with the owner of the dance company, so she was around a lot. Someone introduced me. I can’t say for sure but I am willing to bet she looked at me and said “Damn he is hot”.

If you are Penguins fan you might remember a scrappy little guy by the name of Mathew Barnaby. He was a bad ass on the ice, and was willing to fight anyone. One night my cousin and I went to a bar in the strip district and he happened to be there. We were the only people to recognize him and went over to introduce ourselves. He was really nice and ended up drinking with us for a good part of the night before others picked up on the fact he was a sport star. We tried to pay the bill for the drinks but he insisted on paying.


What is something you hope will never come back in style?

This answer is really going to show my age, but pegging your jeans. I remember when I was in like 6th grade every person who wore jeans would roll the bottoms up and make them tight around the ankle. Now that I look back on it, boy did we look like assholes.


What is one place on your travel must-see bucket list?

Ireland- I am half Irish and half Italian so I would love to go here and learn more about my heritage. I have also been told that it is beautiful over there and a must see. If you are a drinker you have to go to Ireland and at least say you were in a real Irish pub, I am not a whiskey drinker but I would make an exception on this trip for some good old Irish whiskey.

Alaska- This one is so weird for me because I absolutely despise the cold weather, but I watch all these shows on Discovery about Alaska. I think I have a false idea of what Alaska is really like so I need to get up there and see for myself what it is all about.


Who would you want to play you in a movie of your life?

Vin Diesel, we are both bald and though he may be just a bit bigger than me I feel like he could play the role good.


Who is your favorite athlete? Past or Present

I changed the question here, it originally was a Disney question and I don’t watch too many Disney things so I changed it to a question I could answer for you. Presently my favorite athlete is Meb Keflezighi. I think as an American runner he has done so many good things for the sport. He steps up when he needs to do and is a very smart runner. When he won the Boston Marathon in 2014, it was one of the greatest wins for an American.

Past- Steve Prefontaine, I know shocker another runner. I admire a person who was cocky and was able to back it up. Pre also is credited as one of the guys to bring running into the mainstream spotlight. Without guys like him running would not be what it is today.



What would you sing at karaoke night?

I have a terrible singing voice so I wouldn’t sing at all, but if I had to choose a song I would probably sing something from the group Journey. I at least know all the words and I am pretty fond of the group.



Who would you want to be stranded with on a deserted island?

I know the answer that everyone would expect me to say is my wife, well she watches those survivor shows with me and I can tell she would be terrible, she isn’t going to eat bugs and animals. Unless that island has a margarita bar and a Michael Kors store she would be useless. I am going to have to say I would take my friend Russ. He is a hunter and I feel like he would know what to do the most in order to keep us alive.



What is your biggest pet peeve?

People who get in the 20 item or less line at the store with a cart full of shit. There is a reason that line is called the speedy checkout line and I can’t stand when people think they are above everyone and can just do what they please.



What clothing item/accessory/shoes do you have way too many of in your closet?

Running shoes, I hate to throw a pair away unless they have holes in them. Usually I will buy a new pair before that happens so I set the old pair in the closet just in case I get the urge to wear them again. I even have pairs that I have yet to wear just sitting there. I like to have a variety to choose from on different runs, so I believe you can never own too many pairs.

2 comments:

  1. Hahah loved your answers! I could definitely see Vin playing you in a movie, and I'm not surprised at all the Pre is your favorite athlete (mine too). If he had a blog I bet he would sound just like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah glad you liked my answers. I could see Pre sounding exactly like me except he would be talking about always winning and I talk about trying to win

      Delete