Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Monday, January 18, 2016

Shamrock Training Week 6


WEEKS TILL RACE: 9

TOTAL MILES FOR WEEK: 23

TOTAL MILES YEAR TO DATE: 40

This week my main goal was to get back into my normal training routine, running speeds faster than I have been in the previous weeks.

MONDAY: Cross Training- I originally planned on running this day, but I actually planned out my next few weeks and Monday's are going to be a good day to rest the legs and do some some strength training. I did an hour long workout that I have been using from Men's Healthcare. It is an intense workout that can be done at home, but you can feel it working.

TUESDAY: 5 miles on the treadmill. So after reading Steve Cannon's book I have really looked at my running in a whole different light. I have taken the attitude of taking the first step. I set the speed to an 8 minute pace and zoned out. It felt great to finally get back to running at my normal pace. Anytime my mind would start wondering I would keep saying to myself "one more step and everything will fall into place."

WEDNESDAY: 4 miles on the treadmill and cross train: I started my 4 miles at an 8:30 pace and picked up the speed every mile. My last mile was done in 7:30. I felt really good and I am noticing a huge improvement from just a few weeks ago. After the run I did an AB workout on some machines.

THURSDAY: Rest Day

FRIDAY: 3 miles on treadmill: I felt really good with the previous runs earlier in the week so I decided to pick up the pace for this run. I ran the 3 miles at a 7:45 pace. Surprisingly I felt really good and once I got into my groove I wanted to pick up speed, but was smart and ran a constant pace.

SATURDAY: 7 miles on the road. It was a cold and wet run. The course I chose was a very hard and hilly course. My legs were screaming at me around mile 5. I dropped my pace but never stopped running. After the run I realized that I have been so focused on speed that I have neglected my hill workouts. So starting this week I will dedicate one day to hill workouts. I don't even need to go far for this. My street is flat from the main road to my house then goes down a nice hill to the cul-de-sac. After my run I was starving and convinced Amanda that we should go out to dinner. We went to a small little Italian place called Olive and Peppers in Gibsonia. If you live in Pittsburgh you need to try this place. The food was amazing and the portions were huge. It is very rare that I have to bring home extra's but I bet I brought home half my plate. I had Chicken Marsala and it was amazing.

SUNDAY: 3 easy miles on the treadmill. My hip was a little sore from my long run on Saturday. I know 7 miles isn't really long but when you haven't done long runs in a while, except for last week the legs take some time getting back to form. What I thought was funny was just a few weeks ago I was running my normal pace at 9:30 per mile and now that is what I am calling my easy run. The hip is no call for concern, as I expected this since my hip is always the first thing to get sore during a race.

In a race what is normally the first part of the body that gets sore for you? Do you work that muscle more than others leading up to a race?

No comments:

Post a Comment