Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Weekly Update And Giving Thanks

I just want to give a few quick updates on some things I talked about more and now have more information on. First Rucksgiving, like I said before this is an event that is put on by the Obstacle World Championships but anyone can do it. Cities across the country will be holding their own event. The idea is to go for a run and help some people who are in need while running.  You can click here to see if your city already has a date set up. Remember you don't need to be an obstacle racer to do this. Anyone that wants to help others out is welcomed. Pittsburgh will be holding ours on December 5th.
With Thanksgiving coming up in just a few days I am sure a lot of you are like myself and will be doing some sort of turkey trot or thanksgiving race. I will be doing the 5 mile turkey trot in Pittsburgh. So if you are running it look out for me.
At Thanksgiving we are always asked, "What are you thankful for?" Well I thought I would tell you what I am thankful about running. First I am thankful that running has always kept me and my father so close. Even to this day when I have a question he is the first person I ask for advice. I am also thankful that running has allowed me to meet so many people. The running community has some of the greatest people. They are always trying to motivate and help each other out. There are runners that I have never met but I still look to them for motivation like my friend Stephanie. I love knowing that I can go to a race almost anywhere in the country and look on #runchat and be able to meet someone for the race. Last but not least I am thankful running has kept me healthy and in shape. I may be 36 years old but I still feel like this body can move like a 20 year old and I am not close to being done.

Another race I will be adding to my schedule next season will be the Shamrock Half Marathon in March. I am also debating with myself on pulling the trigger and signing up for my first triathlon.

So tell me what are you thankful for?
I hope you have a good thanksgiving and good luck if you are racing.

2 comments:

  1. So much I am thankful for. Mostly that running has changed my life. The people I have met, the experiences & cyber friendships-priceless! (P.S. this OLD body feels like a 20 something most of the time). I'm thankful for YOU buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All good things to be thankful for, especially the me part, lol.

    ReplyDelete