Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Sunday, October 18, 2015

The week that was Buffalo Creek Half Marathon

Before I start with my weekly recap, I need to say congrats to everyone who raced this weekend. It seems like there was so many races, Hershey, Runners World, Crawling Crab, Buffalo Creek, Columbus, Baltimore, Detroit, and Toronto to just name a few. Oh and let me not forget about everyone who raced at the Obstacle Course Racing World Championships, 1600 athletes from 6 continents and over 20 countries were represented.

Now back to my race week. I caught a cold at the end of last week so training this final week was going to be very minimal. 

MONDAY: Rest from running and some light stretching at the house. I was really feeling the cold this day so I pumped my body with medicine and liquids. I wanted to go out for a 4 mile run but knew that it could do more damage than good.

TUESDAY: I was feeling a little bit better so I decided to go out for a 5 mile run. Well 5 miles turned into 8 after how good I felt. It was one of those runs were everything just comes together and you feel like you can just keep going. When I got home I iced down my shins and rolled my calf muscles. My shins were being so weird, some runs they would hurt and some runs they would feel great. I wasn't sure how to react.

WEDNESDAY: GYM DAY: CROSS TRAIN: I rode the bike for 6 miles and did a leg workout. One thing I have learned from doing marathons and half's is my hips can withstand about 9 miles and then they start to get fatigued. This training cycle I really tried to focus on making my hips stronger.

THURSDAY: Light Stretching and more icing down the shins

FRIDAY:REST DAY: Carb loaded with some pasta and iced down the shins.

SATURDAY: RACE DAY: I will recap the race on Thursday, but I am happy with how I did. I did not get a PR or get the time I wanted, but I ran a very smart race and struggled with shin pains for most of the race. However I never stopped and was able to push through the pain.

SUNDAY: TODAY is day 1 of a nice week or 2 off. I went to Primanti's to watch the Steelers and had a few beers with some friends.

How did your week go?
If you raced this weekend let's hear how you did.

2 comments:

  1. I am excited to read your recap. I looked for you at the finish but it was a little crowded!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw you but it was so crowded that I just wanted to get out of there.

      Delete