Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Buffalo Creek Half Training Week 3

With the race being 11 weeks out I am trying to make sure that each week I progress more than the last week. Last week I felt like I had a really good week and it would be a good week to build off of. This week also was my last full week before the Liberty Avenue Mile so I wanted to make sure to get in some good speed workouts.  Here is how the week went down.

MONDAY- I noticed on Sunday that my legs weren't as strong as they were a few months ago when I was in top training form so I needed to hit up the gym. I started out by running 3.1 miles on the treadmill in 25:12. After my run I did a hour leg workout. I can tell that I am going to have to throw in more leg workouts over this cycle because my hips were hurting pretty good.

TUESDAY- Steel City Road Runners had time trials for the Liberty Ave. Mile. I went down and was planning on running in them but after 2 laps my leg got tight so I decided to pull back and go do my own time trial. The problem was I didn't stretch or warm up before the time trial which was very stupid on my part and very dangerous. When I went to the track by myself and warmed up and stretched properly my leg was fine and I ended up running a 5:57. I am getting closer and closer to where I want to be.


WEDNESDAY-  I had all plans of just running a half decent 5 miles, nothing to fast but not too slow. I ended up running the 5 miles while managing to do negative splits. My first mile was a 9:13 and felt really slow and by the time I finished my last mile was a 7:02. I felt really good and it was a huge confidence booster.

THURSDAY- The wife and I were going to the Pirate game and luckily I got out of work a bit early and was able to do some workouts at home. I did some burpees, push ups and sit-ups. For a home workout I still managed to break a sweat and do a pretty good workout.

FRIDAY- Rest Day- Went to the Pirate game with my friend Russ and got to see 2 home runs hit out of the park, then found out that the stadium has a bar after the game where all cans of beer are only 2.50, it was a win for everyone that night.

SATURDAY- I have yet to run any course by my new house so I decided to go explore on a run. I didn't want to really time the run but I needed my GPS watch to track the distance. I was able to make a 4 mile course only problem was it was so humid out and it is all hills. I know I was going to be running slow but I had no idea that it was going to be such a hard run. I ended up running 10 minute miles. I haven't ran that slow in a while, and it actually didn't even feel like I was going slow.

SUNDAY- Today I woke up and headed to North Park to run 8 miles. Once again it was so damn humid and to make it worst there was a race going on. I ran opposite of the race and tried to stay as far as I could from the runners and walkers, but it was very difficult to get into a rhythm. My pace was jumping from 8:50 up to 9:40 depending on how much people dodging I did. Around mile 4 is when I felt a horrible stomach pain. I ran through it but the pain got worst and at mile 5 the urge to use the bathroom hit me like a ton of bricks. I have never had an accident on a run, but today came damn close, thank god there are so many port-o-potty's at the park. The pain never went away though and with the humidity I was only able to go 6 miles.  I was pissed but I would rather this happen early in the training rather than later.  The humidity this past week was really rough to run in and it just made breathing so hard, but I will take this over the winter months any day.
How did your week go? How do you battle the humid days on your runs?

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are all set for Liberty Mile! I take Salt Stick caps in hit & humid weather (so pretty much for every run) & it really helps my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been meaning to try those, I hear they are big pills though and I have a problem with swallowing pills so I am not sure how this will actually work, but it's worth a try

      Delete
  2. Hi Shaun! I'm training for Buffalo Creek as well. I have some unique training issues this summer, but plugging along. I had a really hard run in North Park as well Sunday. As much as I enjoy the summer, I am really anxious to run in cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome that so many of us are doing buffalo creek, I hope none of your issues hold you back to much. I dont mind a bit cooler temps but I am not ready for freezing temps yet. Are you doing Liberty Mile this year?

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the stomach issues on that long run. Hopefully that's a one and done deal for you. I agree though, the humidity sucks ass. I just try to get out as early as I can... other than that it's just sucking up the sweatfest. Other than that run, the rest of your week looked pretty sweet. 5:57 is really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nichole, my goal for the mile is somewhere around 5:40ish. I wish I still had my young legs and could go sub 5 but those days are long gone. On weekends I plan on starting my runs earlier and trying to beat the heat, during the week though it's just suck it up like you said

      Delete
  4. Wow way to crush it on the mile time trial! That's pretty impressive. I try to stay away from North Park in the summer unless I can go really early..it's rough out there when there's a race! I've been trying to beat the heat by running early but the humidity is usually way worse. I just suck it up and get it done-it's better than running on a treadmill for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I will take the hot and humid weather any day over a treadmill. I am just going to keep grinning and bearing the heat and hope that it benefits me later

      Delete
  5. Ugh - stomach troubles on any run suck but always seem worse during a long run! Hopefully that's a one time thing! I also did not know about the post Pirates game bar, which is probably a good thing!! I'll have to make sure my mom doesn't find out about that or we will never leave that place!!!

    I'm excited that so many of us are running Buffalo Creek! It seems like everyone else is already 3+ weeks into training and I'm only 3 days in....lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited as well that so many of us are, we may have to plan a post race drink or few :) 3 weeks, 3 days it don't really matter because you were still putting in the miles

      Delete