Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Friday, March 27, 2015

Friday Randomness


Welcome to another Friday edition of randomness. This week the big news story was the plane crash in the Alps. When it first happened details were unknown and many news outlets were speculating on what the cause could have been. Was it terrorist? Was it a mechanical error? Bad Weather? Even I started to form my own guess on what it could have been. Later in the week more details emerged after the black box was found. Apparently the pilot stepped out of cockpit and was locked out. The co-pilot then flew the plane and all its passengers to their death. So this is what they know of the co-pilot as of now. He seemed like your normal Joe Schmoe. He never was on the terror suspect list, seemed to live a normal and happy life according to his neighbors. I think today I was reading that at one point in his life was depressed and was seeing a psychiatrist for 18 months. Still I call that normal, I mean half of the people you talk too today say they are depressed.

So here is my thoughts on this whole thing. I am a person who doesn’t have to fly for my job. I think in the last 5 years I may have been on a plane a handful of times. I do however have family and friends that are required to travel very often. If I had to travel by plane frequently I would be a nervous wreck every time I sat down on a plane. Not only do you have to worry about terrorist, but now it seems like you have to worry about your normal everyday person. A fellow co-worker and I were talking about this incident and he said “you use to always assume the pilot of the plane wanted to do everything in his power to survive and make sure the passengers on the plane survive.” Well that is not the case anymore, now you have to worry about everyone around you. Take this stupid ISIS bullshit. You have a group of idiots that literally are attacking everyone. Here is the kicker though, there is actually Americans that have fled our own country to go and join these douche bags. It seems like now you have to be on guard 24/7. I don’t know about you, but this is a real shitty way to live. I can remember when I was younger, and being afraid to fly on a plane. Someone told me back then that it is safer than being in a car and the chances of something happening are slim to none. I still agree the chances are a lot slimmer than being in a car accident, but you have to admit this…. I feel 100 percent safer every time I get in my car as opposed to getting on a plane. I know I can’t control another driver, but if I see an idiot on the road swerving all over the place I just pull back or go a different way. When you are on a plane you are at the mercy of the pilot, and you assume he has your best interest. If shit goes wrong up there you have absolutely zero control. Also, when I am in my car there is a 99% chance I know the people sitting around me. Be honest when you get on a plane now the first thing you do is look around and start to profile all the people. It’s like we become FBI profilers and we start questioning every move a person makes and what they look like. Is that person just tan or from the Middle East? Why is that man reading Home and Garden, he must be up to something. You see my point. Instead of getting on a plane and feeling safe. I don’t know if you really ever felt safe being that high in the air, but I mean you felt that your flight was going to go without a hiccup. Today people are afraid to fly and are taking the longer alternate route of driving just because they don’t want to deal with the what if’s.

This is just another random thing that makes me scratch my head and ask myself, where is our society going? And why is there so much hate in the world that people feel the need to not only harm themselves but the people around them as well?

2 comments:

  1. Good question Shaun....if we would all start being nicer to the people in our lives every day then maybe it would carry out into the rest of the world.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point.... Unfortunately there are too many assholes out there and now it seems like the good people are the minority

      Delete