Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Friday, January 23, 2015

Why The Rush?

Next time you are in your car pay attention to how many people fly by you on the road. Next time you are walking in a store watch how many people are speed walking to get their things. What is the rush?

Quick story for you, yesterday I was driving on the highway. There is 3 lanes the direction I am heading. I come up to dead stop traffic. After listening to the radio I hear that there is an over turned car and traffic is at a standstill. It was during work hours so this didn’t bother me too much. I was basically getting paid to sit there. After about 45 minutes of not moving I notice a car pass me on the right hand side. Normally I wouldn’t think much of it, but I was in the farthest lane to the right. That’s right this guy passed me on the shoulder of the road. A few other people played follow the leader and passed as well. Once traffic started moving I came up to those same cars. They were still on the shoulder trying to squeeze back into traffic, only problem was the other driver, myself included were not about to let these people in front of us. I couldn’t help but to think what did they actually think they were going to do? Maybe they thought they could somehow just bypass the traffic and the accident. I am not sure why, but I do know these people felt they were above sitting in traffic like the rest of us. This the first point of the day I really took note on how people are in a rush. Later that day as I was driving I started to pay attention and was amazed at how many people weave in and out of traffic and just do whatever they want to get to their destination. It made me think we live in a world where everyone is a rush. Rush to work, rush home from work, rush in and out of the store, rush through dinner, rush rushrush.

I even have noticed people rush through their training. I always say marathon training should be at least 4 to 5 months of training for a person with experience, and 5-6 months for a beginner. Every year though I hear of people start training with a few months before the race and cram all the training in. This is not a good idea, your chance for injury is much higher. Not to mention you don’t leave yourself anytime to figure things out if something isn’t working. Right now I am in my 3rd week of training and I have been experimenting with some things and if I was to rush it I wouldn’t know if it was working or not. Look training sucks, ask anyone who ran a marathon and most will tell you that the training is harder than the race. It’s a mental game, but the training is what gets you prepared for the race. In the race we run hard and we run fast. That is fine if you want to go all out on race day and see what you can do, but at least make sure you know what your body can do through the training. Don’t rush things, take time and enjoy the training. Enjoy the blood, sweat, and tears you put in. In the end you will appreciate running more. Even if you can only short workouts each day, something is better than nothing.
W

No comments:

Post a Comment