Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Sunday, September 28, 2014

3 Weeks Until Columbus

     I am really starting to get pumped up for the Columbus Marathon. The months of counting down has turned to weeks and soon it will be days.  I have now entered my second week of tapering and this week turned out to be a mixed bag of training.

MONDAY:  I ran 4 miles at a 8:00 minute pace.  I felt really after the run even though I was a little sore still from running the Gladiator Rock' N Run.  I have said it before and I will say it again, these obstacles races are giving me core strength and the runs are becoming a lot easier.

TUESDAY:  I used this day as a complete rest day. Tapering sucks, I really wanted to get out and do a nice run but I fought off the urge and stayed in.

WEDNESDAY:  At work I started to get the urge to do a long run. I came home and decided  I wouldn't go for a real long run, but a 10 miler wouldn't hurt as long as I kept a slow pace.  I ran the 10 miles at 8:45 pace. Normally I would say that was too fast for a long slow run, but recently the runs have become easier and I have felt really good. When I got finished I had hardly broke a sweat and my confidence was shooting through the roof.

THURSDAY:  I did a light work out in my house. I worked on my arms and abs thinking I would need to have them in shape for the upcoming race on Saturday, the Battle Frog Race Series. A obstacle race designed by the navy seals.

FRIDAY:  I used this day as a complete rest day. Having ran an obstacle race last week I knew I would want to be rested as much as I could for the race in the morning.  I spent the night picking out my outfit and packing a change of clothes.

SATURDAY:  BATTLE FROG RACE: I will have a recap later in the week on the race.  I was originally signed up for a 15K but decided to drop down to the 5K.  With Columbus right around the corner I didn't want to take a chance of getting hurt. However the 5K was more like a 5 miler.  I was put to the test both physically and mentally.  One thing I will say about this race was it taught me that sometimes you are faced with a challenge.  Sometimes you will want to give up and coward away. If you tell yourself you can over come the obstacle presented in front of you and you start to believe it, you can push yourself beyond your expectations.  I will use this in Columbus. When I am tired I will tell myself I can get through it. When I get weak I will tell myself I can overcome it.


SUNDAY:  TODAY:  I don't think I have ever been this sore in my life. The Battle Frog kicked my ass.  Needless to say I used today as a rest day.  I sure need it because my knees are cut up and bruised and my legs feel like they were kicked from a horse.

Next week I will start to slowly build up the mileage, and I will do my last long run.  It's a little out of the norm for most peoples way of doing a taper, but I have a method behind my madness.

2 comments:

  1. It's hard to resist running when the weather is so great, but good for you for keeping to your tapering plan and getting rest. I cannot wait to read the Battle Frog race recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The battle frog is one recap I am actually really excited to write. It was insane!

      Delete