Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Food for Fuel!!!!


One thing I have to admit that I need help with is eating healthier. I am a junk food junkie. Do you know how hard it is to not eat junk when you can literally pick up the phone and call your wife and tell her to bring home sweets. It is a heaven and a nightmare all mixed in one. The taste of those cakes and sweets are extraordinary but the repercussions have a severe effect on my training. How does that old saying go, “You are what you eat.” Well if that is true then I am chocolate covered bacon pretzel with arms, legs and small head running the mean streets of Pittsburgh.
 

Food is Fuel! You hear every nutritionist say this line, and during my last marathon I realized just how true it was. I had good days and bad days with my food intake. Some days I would eat the right amount of meals and take in no bad foods. Other days I would eat terrible. Some days would be filled with junk, and it may only be 1 meal. After the marathon I made a promise to myself to really put in all the efforts of training, not just the running and cross training but the food intake as well.

My wife is trying to help me eat healthier but like me she slips up at times. We are learning as we go, and making new foods together is always a good time.  She finds new recipes on Pinterest and we will try out new meals. Some have worked out great for us and some have not been so good. This week we already had some sort of cheesy chicken that was out of this world. Next time we make it I will share the recipe and take a picture. Tonight I went to my sister’s house for dinner. She is also trying to eat healthier, and uses Pinterest to get recipes. Makes me wonder what exactly did people do before the internet to get recipes? Oh ya that’s right you had to use those hard back things with pages and numbers. I think it’s called a cookbook. Anyway tonight she made a smothered chicken. No I did not take a picture (once again when it comes to food I think of getting it in my belly and then I usually think “man that was good I should of taken a picture”) but I thought I would share this recipe. Just use your imagination since we are going pictureless.


INGREDIENTS

4 Chicken Breasts

2 Cups of fresh spinach

4 Pieces of Provolone Cheese

3/4 Cup cherry tomatoes cut in half

3/4 Cup of fresh cut mushrooms

1 glove of fresh minced garlic



First season the chicken with a little salt and pepper. Next in a bit of olive oil sauté the chicken. In a separate pan season the spinach, garlic, tomatoes, and mushrooms with salt, pepper and onion powder. You can use diced onions instead of powder if you would like. Sauté the vegetables in a table spoon of olive oil. Once the chicken is cooked all the way through, take a spoonful of the vegetables and place it on a breast. Last lay a piece of the cheese over the vegetables and the chicken. Do this to all the breast. Any remaining vegetables can be placed in the pan around the chicken while the cheese melts. Cover and let the cheese melt over the chicken. Serve over brown rice with a side of asparagus. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment