Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Remembering Boston

     I normally don't post on Tuesday's but with today being the 1 year anniversary of the Boston Marathon Bombing, I just wanted to pay some respects.  Every time I see a picture of the bombing I get angry. What a coward move and selfish act that was done on that Monday afternoon.  Lives taken and ruined for what?  What was exactly was accomplished? Well let me tell you what I saw taken away from it.  I saw not only a city but a country come together and stand as one.  Acts of heroism being done, people going above and beyond the call of duty. 
     Today as I watched a lot of the specials about the events I was sad, shaking my head a lot.  Then they showed all the people that helped. Runners running back to the explosion area to help injured. Running to hospitals to donate blood, and pushing victims with them.  It was emotional and uplifting. 
      One thing I do still feel bad for is the people that worked so hard to get there and had their time stolen from them.  Only a runner can understand the work, dedication, and pain it takes to run a marathon.  Getting into Boston takes a bit more. You have to endure all of that plus finish in a good time just to get in.  Most runners can only dream of running Boston, and the few that are lucky enough, who have put in the work deserve to celebrate a finish.  Some runners didn't even get to finish. No celebration, no getting the medal put around your neck as you go to hug a family member.   Whether you finished or not last year I would like to just say congrats because you earned it.

 
 

    You may have injured us
    You may have knocked us down
    But we will get up and continue to fight

4-21-13 let us never forget!

1 comment:

  1. I watched a few shows too, and man, did I get pissed off. The show on ESPN E-60 especially. They showed a photo that someone took of a runner, and in the background, you could see the bomber standing there within the crowd with his backpack on the ground. He was standing directly behind a line of kids, and had a smirk on his face. We know what happened to them.
    I can't believe someone can be so evil. I wish I had 5 minutes with that asshole.

    ReplyDelete