Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Running Sick

    So anyone who trains for a spring race usually has to train during the winter months.  Which also means there is a really good chance at one point in your training you will probably get sick.  I unfortunately have been struck with some type of bug twice.  About 3 weeks ago I came down with a chest cold(I have asthma so any chest cold for me usually is worst than normal) and had to sit out almost a whole week of running.  Well as I was just starting to get over that cold I noticed my wife was coming down with a cold.  I assumed this was her just catching what I had. WRONG!!!! seems she was catching a whole different bug going around.  Now once again I have caught a second bug in a matter of 3 weeks.  YAY ME!!! not really, this has been more of nuisance than anything.  Yesterday I would normally do my long run.  I tried to do it and made it 6 miles and soon was having trouble breathing and had to cut the run short.  I never cut a run short unless I know something is really wrong with me.

      Luckily my training has been way ahead of schedule and I am doing really well.  So missing a few days here and there has not been the end of the world.   But it still leaves a deep mental sting with me, if there is one thing I hate it is missing my work out.  I have had to cut back some training and change up how hard I push myself the last few weeks but I still feel that I am in the best shape I have been in up to this point in my training with other marathons.
     Now here is my real problem and this pisses me off more than anything.  I work out everyday I eat fairly good, I take multi-vitamins every morning, and I drink plenty of fluids.  Everyday I go to work and I see people that don't work out, eat like absolute shit and could care less about their health and I swear these fools are never sick.  Don't get me wrong I love these guys, but damn am I jealous.  Why me? Why me? is what I ask myself everyday.
     So my question for anyone who can help is, how do you beat your colds?
     When you are training and get struck with a cold how do you cope?
     and last but not least am I wrong for being jealous of people that don't get sick?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff with diet and exercise. Good thing about colds is you can run through them. Hopefully you'll notice the colds go away sooner as you maintain your routine. Get better man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Andy and I feel like we're about to get a cold we drink a Vitamin C Naked Juice and try to go to sleep extra early that day. 9 times out of 10 we feel normal the next morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete