Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Katie's Story

     First I want to start out by saying thank you to everyone who has sent me a story. They have all been truly an inspiration. I promise I will get them all posted over the next few weeks.  Before you read today's story I would like to just make a quick announcement.  If you have facebook or twitter you may have seen posts or the hashtag #Meg's miles. This if for a runner who was killed by a drunk driver just a few days ago.  I have copied and pasted below a short description of what exactly is happening to unite runners across the country for this girl.

Meg Cross Menzies
was tragically killed by a drunk driver while out for her morning run on January 13, 2014. As an avid runner, member of the Richmond Road Runners Club, and Boston marathoner, she was a member of the running family nationwide. In her honor, our hope is to raise awareness of drunk driving, texting and driving, and overall safety of runners and cyclists everywhere.

This Saturday, January 18, 2014, no matter what your distance, no matter where you live, run for Meg. Take in the fresh air, be aware of your surroundings, keep your headphones on low, feel the heaviness in your lungs, the soreness in your legs, and be grateful for it--for all of it. The sweat, the pain, the wind, the cold…everything. Be grateful for that moment.

Feel free to post pictures of yourself pre-run or post-run, post your distance, post your thoughts, prayers, condolences with the hashtag #megsmiles. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook. Let all runners unite together and remember the loss of a beautiful spirit. It's not a coincidence the hashtag reads either "Meg's Miles" or "Meg Smiles." She will be smiling on all of us forevermore. 

Shirts are also available for 15.00 and all proceeds go to the family.  Just go to www.bonfirefunds.com/meg-cross-menzies   You can search Meg's Miles on facebook and join the 60 thousand people who have already joined and will be running on Saturday.


   
                                                                  KATIE’S STORY

Honestly, I began running to loose weight after my first daughter was born and I was always told that running gives you the most bang for your buck. I had never done anything athletic prior to this, never even played a sport growing up. At first, running felt so awkward and unnatural to me, but that quickly changed.

I began to feel more comfortable with it and in time, I was running farther and faster. Yes, my weight was coming off, but it became less and less important. I eventually stopped weighing in, because it really didn't matter. For the first time, I loved my body, not because of the way I looked, but the way I felt. I felt strong. I felt like an athlete. I was doing things that I never thought were possible. I was setting small goals and reaching them. I was proud of myself.

I continued to run after having my second daughter. At this point, I knew what I was capable of and I had built so much confidence in myself. Now, I run for therapy. I run for peace. I run for time to myself. I find it very therapeutic. After a run, I am much more pleasant, I have patience and I have energy. As a mother, running is a great escape for me.

Both of my parents were runners, and I always remember being proud of that. I also run in hopes to set a great example for my daughters. Running is empowering, and I hope that when my girls are older, they find peace and pride in running too!

Katie

     Any person who can juggle a job, being a parent, and running is a person I look up too.  I only have to juggle a job and running, that alone is hard.  Throw in some kids and I wouldn't know where to began. I guess I would rely on my wife more than I already do.  I know it was seeing my father than made me want to run so Katie I hope your kids will see you and take up running as well.  On a side note I know Katie and even though she doesn't run competitively, she is a very good and disciplined runner who could easily be a top athlete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment