Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Interview with Todd Siegel

This weeks interview is with Todd Siegel. I have pretty much known Todd my whole life, and is one of the runners that I look up to for inspiration. I have ran many races that Todd has ran in and when I see him on the course by me I know I am doing well. When I was younger I always thought the older I got the harder it would be to run good times. It may take a little harder to recover but from watching Todd run I have realized that my times don't have to suffer as I get older. I can only hope that when I am Todd's age (Which for the record really isn't that old) that I am still able to compete at the level he does.

SB- When and why did you start running?
TS-I started when I was 21 yrs old after I stopped smoking and because my dad's good friend kept urging me to try it. I did and I loved it.


SB- Is there any person you looked up too as a runner or a person that inspired you along your running journey?

TS-Yes, my dad's friend Abe who was a marathon runner.


SB=.you have ran many races from 5K's to marathons, how do you stay motivated to keep running?

TS-Running is just in my blood; when I don't run, my endorphins don't kick in and I get moody and depressed. Also, it helps to keep the weight off, especially now that I am older.


SB- Do you have any goals that you would like to work toward before your running career is over?

TS-I do have a few more running goals AND I must add that my running days will never be over until I die. If I have to run in my hov-around I will. Anyhow, I digress.....I would like to do one more marathon and complete it under 4 hours. Also I want to do another mini triathlon; I did one and it was the hardest thing I ever did. Oh and one more goal which is probably unattainable at this point but I would like to do a 5k under 20 minutes.


SB- I know you run with the group the "Pittsburgh Frontrunners", can you tell us about the group and how has running with a group helped your training?

TS-The Pittsburgh Frontrunners are a gay running club - which includes gay, bi, lesbian runners and walkers. We even very much welcome straight people and dogs. I began running with the FR's in 1994 and they helped me to channel my competitiveness in a healthy way. They have also helped me to train for 4 marathons. I welcome any runners to visit our website and to join us!!


SB-Also does your running group have a web page for any other runners that might be interested in joining or getting some tips from experienced runners?

TS-www.pittsburgh-frontrunners.org


SB- You have been a runner for a few years now, do you see any changes in the people or the races in general?
TS-Yes I have seen such a growth in the number of runners in Pittsburgh with the development of the Citywide trail systems. In addition there are so many more sponsored races some of which are for excellent causes that bring out people to run who may not have done so years ago. I also have noticed that today's runners are much faster than years ago. In part this is due to the mechanics of running shoes today and also because people are more into fitness and pushing themselves to their limits.


SB- Obviously you live in Pittsburgh and like Many of us the weather can wreak havoc on our training. How do you train during the winter months when the Marathon and half is just after the winter months?

TS-I have amassed a multitude of winter running gear that I layer on as needed. I also have a balaclava that covers my entire face except for my eyes and nose. Obviously, I don't particularly like training in the winter but I do it with the Frontrunners and/or on my own - much of which is either on the Schenley Trails (my favorite running place ever) or on the Jail and Southside trails.

SB- Since you have been around the running scene for a bit have you embraced the changes that have come(compression socks, barefoot shoes ex...) or do you stick with the traditional running methods of your shoes, shorts and shirt? And if you do use some of the new technology what articles do you use?
TS-I have stuck with Saucony running shoes because invariably I have suffered injuries when I have switched. Probably psycho-somatic but ..... I do wear compression sleeves on my calves to help them from straining. I don't have a set type of clothing that I wear, usually just a hodge podge of shorts and shirts - usually breathable shirts rather than cotton.


SB- Anything you can say to someone who might be starting out or thinking about getting starting in running?TS-My advice is start out slowly and don't wear an ipod so you can listen to your breathing and learn to regulate it. Don't run too far at first, maybe aim for a mile and stick to that distance for about a month until you feel comfortable with it, then add mileage accordingly. The key is to stretch before and after - but alas, I don't follow that advice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment