Who Am I?

I am an avid runner and have been running since I was 15 years old. I began running low to medium distances while on my high school track team, running the 800 meter and 1600 meter races (I was a sub 5 miler and a 2 minute 800 runner). In addition to the track team, I also joined the cross country team. After high school I still wanted to run and decided to start doing road races. I have probably ran a couple hundred 5k races (16.29 PR)along with many 10k's as well. In 2009 I decided to step up my game and try to tackle my first marathon. I will be honest; the only reason I did this was because my father ran a few and I wanted to show him that I could do what he did. I trained poorly for my first one and regret it. If you are going to run a race, train like you want to win. I still continue to run marathons and other distances as well, and every race is a chance for me to better myself.
I started this blog to hopefully communicate with other runners and to shed any knowledge I may have about the sport that can help other runners. I believe running is the best sport and can be a great stress reliever. I encourage all runners to spread the word of our sport and show people why running is so good and why the community of runners has such great people. You can follow me on twitter @byrne1324 or find me on facebook- Shaun Byrne

Monday, November 11, 2013

Running Sport or Not?

Many people will ask the question is running a sport? The answer is yes, not only is it a sport but its one of the oldest sports,  dating back to the early Olympics.

       As a runner I hear it everyday, running is not a sport.  This statement cracks me up when people say it.  One argument I hear is "well anyone can do it."  This is true, anyone can run.  But not every runner is competing in races and training for marathons or races week in and week out.  I can go outside and pick up a bat and ball but that doesn't make me a baseball player.  There is a difference in a person who is running to lose weight and a person who is running for the sport of it.  If anyone had the chance to watch the NYC Marathon this year they may have picked up on just how much of a sport it is.  A group of runners bunched up for 20 miles jostling for position, looking back and fourth at each other to see who will make the "move".  And then it happens one runner takes off as if to say lets see what you guys have and pushes the pace and soon you have a race within a race.  Its a tactical sport in which people draft off each other and wait to use their kicks at the end.  So yes anyone can run but not everyone is runner.

       Hopefully with this blog I can give some advice to other runners and people looking to run for whatever reason it may be.  Also i would like to hear what works for other runners, what shoe they prefer and why, some race tactics they use and so on.....  And last but not least i hope to inspire people who are on the fence about running to give it a try and come into the running circle.  Once you give it a try you will soon see this is an addicting sport.


     





No comments:

Post a Comment